FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FUNDING OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR
- 7: INSTRUMENTATION FOR ADVANCED CHEMICAL IMAGING
- Description: The Department of Energy seeks to advance chemical imaging technologies that facilitate fundamental research to understand, predict, and ultimately control matter and energy at the electronic, atomic, and molecular levels. The Department is particularly interested in forefront advances in imaging techniques that combine molecular-scale spatial resolution and ultrafast temporal resolution to explore energy flow, molecular dynamics, breakage, or formation of chemical bonds, or conformational changes in nanoscale systems.
- b: Time-Resolved Chemical Information from Hybrid Probe Microscopys
- Description: Probe microscopy instruments (including AFM and STM) have been developed that offer spatial resolution of molecules and even chemical bonds. While probe-based measurements alone do not typically offer the desired chemical information on molecular timescales, methods that take advantage of electromagnetic interactions or sampling with probe tips have been demonstrated. Grant applications are sought that would make available to scientists new hybrid probe instrumentation with significant advancements in chemical and temporal resolution towards that required for molecular scale chemical interactions. The nature of the advancement may span a range of approaches and probe techniques, from tip-enhanced or plasmonic enhancement of electromagnetic spectroscopys to probe-induced sample interactions that localize spectroscopic methods to the molecular scale.
- c: Other
- Description: In addition to the specific subtopics listed above, the Department invites grant applications in other areas that fall within the scope of the topic description above.