Multi-Sensor Terrain Fusion
Agency / Branch:
DOD / NAVY
The Navy is seeking improved capabilities to generate automatically elevation data products and have updatable and retrievable output via an automated advanced tactical terrain database system, supporting the Tomahawk Cruise Missile Program. The envisioned end-to-end solution must be able to process, manage, and/or fuse a variety of inputs, and these include multi-source imagery as well as existing, new, and non-standard elevation data. Named OmniDEM, we propose the innovative research and development of this new system accordingly.
Specifically, highly accurate and robust digital elevation matrices (DEMs) are required to generate reference maps for the Precision Terrain Aided Navigation system. Of prime importance herein are:
- A capability to detect change from multiple coincident DEMs;
- A capability to determine if additional imagery (e.g., tactical) or data (e.g., updated control) will improve DEM(s) created previously;
- A capability to combine or "fuse" surfaces from multiple DEMs;
- A method for registering and validating source data; and
- Heavy emphasis on leveraging and integrating existing capabilities from GOTS and COTS packages.
DEMs are critical for missile navigation. In addition, the commercial and defense mapping marketplaces are demanding solutions of this type as well, which suggests an eventual commercial solution should do well.
Small Business Information at Submission:
INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF VIRTUAL ORG., INC.
1010 Gloria Ave. Durham, NC 27701
Number of Employees: