USA flag logo/image

An Official Website of the United States Government

Advanced Hybrid Thermoelectric-Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Energy Conversion for High…

Award Information

Agency:
Department of Defense
Branch:
Office of the Secretary of Defense
Award ID:
86125
Program Year/Program:
2008 / SBIR
Agency Tracking Number:
O081-EP4-4008
Solicitation Year:
N/A
Solicitation Topic Code:
N/A
Solicitation Number:
N/A
Small Business Information
NANODYNAMICS, INC.
901 Fuhrmann Blvd. Buffalo, NY 14203-4203
View profile »
Woman-Owned: No
Minority-Owned: No
HUBZone-Owned: Yes
 
Phase 1
Fiscal Year: 2008
Title: Advanced Hybrid Thermoelectric-Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Energy Conversion for High Efficiency Portable Power
Agency / Branch: DOD / OSD
Contract: N00014-08-M-0255
Award Amount: $99,333.00
 

Abstract:

Technology is rapidly advancing both in the area of thermoelectric (TE) modules and solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC). Advanced solid oxide fuel cells are theoretically capable of converting over 60% of the energy available in the fuel (based on the fuels lower heating value) to electricity at operating temperatures around 800 degrees C. The remaining 40% of the energy is converted to heat. With the development of high performance thermoelectric materials, it now appears that a significant portion of the waste heat produced by an SOFC system can be converted into useable electrical energy by thermoelectric devices. An integrated SOFC-TE hybrid, therefore, offers the potential of increased efficiency (lower fuel consumption) than a conventional SOFC. This project proposes a parametric investigation of the integration of the application of advanced SOFC and thermoelectric technologies to maximize the efficiency of a portable power generator with 250Watts of net output power. A laboratory test of a thermoelectric device heated by a solid oxide fuel cell is also discussed. A conceptual design of the integrated 250 Watt SOFC-TE power system will be created.

Principal Investigator:

Caine Finnerty
VP Fuel Cells
7168801019
cfinnerty@ndenergy.com

Business Contact:

Glenn Spacht
CTO
6312719678
gspacht@ndenergy.com
Small Business Information at Submission:

NANODYNAMICS ENERGY, INC.
901 Fuhrmann Blvd. Buffalo, NY 14203

EIN/Tax ID: 205541970
DUNS: N/A
Number of Employees:
Woman-Owned: No
Minority-Owned: No
HUBZone-Owned: No