How to Apply
[x] Qualify as SBC
[x] Minimum Research per Phase
- Phase I - minimum 1/3 of research or analytical effort must be performed.
- Phase II - minimum 1/2 of research or analytical effort must be performed. Occassional deviations from these requirments must be approved in writing by the funding agreement officer after consultation with the agency SBIR Program Manager/Coordinator. An agency can use total contract dollars or labor hours to measure this research or analytical effort.
[x] Primary Employment for Principle Investigator
[x] Location of R/R&D
[x] Registration and Certifications for Proposal and Award
- Each Phase I and Phase II applicant that is majority-owned by multiple venture capital operating companies, hedge funds, or private equity firms must register with SBA in the Company Registry Database at www.SBIR.gov and submit a certification with its SBIR application to the SBIR agency.
- Each applicant must register in SBA's Company Registry Database (see Appendix IV) and submit Proof of Registration PDF with its application if the agency is unable to obtain this information via Tech-Net.
- Agencies may request the SBIR applicant to submit a certification at the time of submission of the application or offer, which requires the applicant to state that it intends to meet the size, ownership and other requirements of the SBIR Program at the time of award of the funding agreement, if selected for award. See Appendix I for the required text of the certification.
[x] Commercialization Plan -- A succinct commercialization plan must be included with each proposal for an SBIR Phase II award moving toward commercialization. Elements of a commercialization plan will include the following,
- Company information
- Customer and Competition
- Intellectual Property
- Assistance and Mentoring
[x] Data Collection
[x] Location of R/R&D
[x] Match Opportunity
- Under Open/Future Solicitations, select a Solicitation.
Find Details of Solicitation such as...
- Latest Amendments
- Notices on SBIR.Gov
- Specific Topics within the Solicitation
[x] Proposal/Application Specifics
- Register your company on SBIR.Gov if you have not already done so. You will receive login account credentials.
- Submit a Pre-Submission Inquiry if applicable
- Login with your credentials and Submit a Phase I Proposal (complete applicable sections which may include):
- Business Plan
- Executive summary
- Cost Proposal
- Technical Proposal
- Login and Submit a Phase II Proposal (complete applicable sections which may include): Commercialization Plan
[x] Selection Process and Review Criteria
- Selection Process and Review Criteria
- In order for a small business to receive SBIR or STTR funding, every application must go through a peer review process. Agencies use a rigorous peer review system to ensure only the most meritorious scientific proposals are funded.
- Wondering about grant deadlines or when to expect your award money?
Check out Review and Funding Schedule on the respective agency websites.
- Login and Submit a Phase II Proposal (complete applicable sections) Commercialization Plan
[x] Proposal Awarded
- Conduct Research or Develop Technology as per the Proposal Submission.
- Provide Period Status Reports.
- Minimize Period of Performance Extension or Modification of Funding Agreement for increased dollar amounts.
- NOT submit an "Essentially Equivalent Work" to another sponsoring agency.
- Certify no "Essentially Equivalent Work" has been submitted to another sponsoring agency.