Physics Based Gear Health Prognosis via Modeling Coupled with Component Level Tests

Award Information
Agency: Department of Defense
Branch: Navy
Contract: N68335-08-C-0379
Agency Tracking Number: N074-010-0349
Amount: $495,300.00
Phase: Phase II
Program: STTR
Awards Year: 2008
Solicitation Year: 2007
Solicitation Topic Code: N07-T010
Solicitation Number: N/A
Small Business Information
VEXTEC CORP.
520 South Airport Street #300, Terre Haute, IN, 47803
DUNS: 128193997
HUBZone Owned: N
Woman Owned: N
Socially and Economically Disadvantaged: N
Principal Investigator
 Rich Holmes
 Director, Modeling and Simulation
 (615) 372-0299
 rholmes@vextec.com
Business Contact
 Loren Nasser
Title: CEO
Phone: (615) 372-0299
Email: lnasser@vextec.com
Research Institution
 PURDUE UNIV.
 Thomas N Farris
 701 W. Stadium Avenue
West Lafayette, IN, 47907-2045
 (765) 494-5118
 Nonprofit college or university
Abstract
Investment in health and usage monitoring systems (HUMS) has proven to yield significant safety and cost benefits to the military. For instance, the Helicopter Integrated Diagnostic System (HIDS) has achieved a documented success rate of up to 70 percent in detecting faults. However, despite all the improvements in failure detection, the remaining 30 percent of faults are not diagnosed. The work proposed under this STTR Phase II seeks to develop VEXTEC's gear prognostics tool for a critical need within the HIDS program in attaining 100 % detection of catastrophic gear faults. This project provides for successful modeling of the effects of tooth bending, contact fatigue and lubrication to advance the understanding of gear failure modes as a critical and new approach to aerospace application prognosis. The technology involves successful modeling of the gear material microstructure and the highly localized multi-axial stresses at tooth contact. VEXTEC will demonstrate its gear prognostics tool through comparison of their modeling results with data from a full-scale gear test.

* information listed above is at the time of submission.

Agency Micro-sites

SBA logo
Department of Agriculture logo
Department of Commerce logo
Department of Defense logo
Department of Education logo
Department of Energy logo
Department of Health and Human Services logo
Department of Homeland Security logo
Department of Transportation logo
Environmental Protection Agency logo
National Aeronautics and Space Administration logo
National Science Foundation logo
US Flag An Official Website of the United States Government