A Novel High Efficiency 1.5 MW, 110 GHz Gyrotron with HE11 Output for Plasma Heating

Award Information
Agency: Department of Energy
Branch: N/A
Contract: DE-FG02-12ER86504
Agency Tracking Number: 99183
Amount: $147,229.00
Phase: Phase I
Program: STTR
Awards Year: 2012
Solicitation Year: 2012
Solicitation Topic Code: 23 b
Solicitation Number: DE-FOA-0000577
Small Business Information
Bridge 12 Technologies, Inc.
37 Loring Drive, Framingham, MA, -
DUNS: 829359145
HUBZone Owned: N
Woman Owned: N
Socially and Economically Disadvantaged: N
Principal Investigator
 Jagadishwar Sirigiri
 Dr.
 (617) 674-2766
 jsirigiri@bridge12.com
Business Contact
 Louis Tarricone
Title: Mr.
Phone: (617) 538-2880
Email: ltarricone@bridge12.com
Research Institution
 SLAC National Accelerator Lab
 2575 Sandy Hill Road
Menlo Park, CA, 94025-7015
 () -
 Federally funded R&D center (FFRDC)
Abstract
Electron Cyclotron Resonance Heating (ECRH) has emerged as one of the most important tools for plasma heating and stabilization in magnetically confined fusion devices. In particular, ECRH is the most effective tool for suppressing Neoclassical Tearing Modes (NTM) in both currently operating tokamaks such as DIII-D, General Atomics and future tokamaks such as ITER. Current generation of MW gyrotrons in the 110-170 GHz range have been limited to & lt;50% total efficiency in theory and in practice, only 40-45% efficiency values have been demonstrated. Though there are many causes for low experimentally achieved efficiencies, it has been determined by experimental studies that the After Cavity Interaction (ACI) in megawatt gyrotrons leads to 10- 15% points decrease in total efficiency. In this Phase I work, we propose to design a novel magnetic system, a new cavity and a novel internal mode transformer to mitigate the ACI effect to achieve ~60% efficiency. The novel internal mode launcher will result in direct HE11 output from the gyrotron in a corrugated waveguide thus avoiding the need for a large and expensive Matching Optics Unit (MOU) which is necessary for coupling the output power from current generation of gyrotrons (with TEM00-like output) to the HE11 mode in a corrugated waveguide transmission line. The combination of high efficiency with the simpler and less expensive coupling mechanism will result in a more compact and less expensive gyrotron system for plasma heating. This collaborative project aims to bring together the expertise of Bridge12 Technologies, a start-up company based in Framingham, MA focused in the area of high power, millimeter wave and terahertz source, component design and manufacturing with the well-established expertise and facilities of the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory in the development of multi-megawatt microwave sources and components. A successful achievement of the goals of this project in the proposed Phase I and a future Phase II will lead to the establishment of an alternative source in the United States for high power gyrotrons

* information listed above is at the time of submission.

Agency Micro-sites

SBA logo
Department of Agriculture logo
Department of Commerce logo
Department of Defense logo
Department of Education logo
Department of Energy logo
Department of Health and Human Services logo
Department of Homeland Security logo
Department of Transportation logo
Environmental Protection Agency logo
National Aeronautics and Space Administration logo
National Science Foundation logo
US Flag An Official Website of the United States Government